By 1907, the Alanreed
boasted a bank, a hotel, two churches, a saloon,
two grocery stores, a hardware store, a livery stable and a blacksmith shop. In 1912 a new two-story school was built and by 1917 the town had a population of 250 complete with telephone service. In 1927 with the Panhandle Oil Boom and the coming of the Mother Road
, Alanreed was called home to some 500 residents. Like its neighbor McLean
, Alanreed made several unsuccessful bids to be the county seat.