The Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery, Alabama. Alabama has had five political capitals during its history. The first was the territorial capital in St. Stephens in 1817, followed by the state convention in Huntsville in 1819, then the first "permanent" capital in Cahaba in 1820. It was then moved to Tuscaloosa in 1826, until coming to rest in Montgomery in 1846. The building also served as the First Confederate Capitol. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.