When pioneers along the Beale Wagon Road passed through this area in the mid-nineteenth century, Seligman was known as Mint Valley. Later, when the Prescott & Central Arizona Railroad planned to connect the area to Prescott in 1886, the settlement was called Prescott Junction. Completing the tracks, the train had to run backwards to Prescott Junction because there wasn’t a turntable in Prescott.
At the turn of the century, Seligman was populated primarily by cowboys working the large ranches of the area. Along with these rough and ready men, came a piece of the Wild West, complete with shootouts on the streets.
At this time the saloons and brothels outnumbered the churches three to one. Over the years, Seligman settled down; but, today, is still populated by people working at some of the state’s largest ranches.
When Route 66 came through, Seligman accommodated the many travelers with numerous motor courts and services, bringing a substantial boost to the town’s economy. Though Route 66 was decommissioned in 1985, area residents rallied to save their town, by promoting the old road.
Today, this is one of the most colorful and friendly places along the entire route.