12 photos
Fort Larned, Kansas

About six miles west of Larned, Kansas the Fort Larned National Historic Site preserves the 1859 military post of Fort Larned. On October 22, 1859 Captain George H. Stewart, commanding Company K of the First United States Cavalry, was sent out with his company to establish a mail escort station on the line of the Santa Fe Trail. On October 22nd he selected a site on the south bank of Pawnee Fork, eight miles from the mouth of the river and established a camp, which was first called the "Camp on Pawnee Fork." The original structure was built of sod in the heart of Indian hunting grounds.

Fort Larned, KS - Barracks

Fort Larned, KS -  Barracks

Fort Larned, KS - Board Walk

Fort Larned, KS - Board Walk

Fort Larned, KS - Building

Fort Larned, KS - Building

Fort Larned, KS - Buildings

Fort Larned, KS - Buildings

Fort Larned, KS - Entrance

Fort Larned, KS - Entrance

Fort Larned, KS - Parade Ground

Fort Larned, KS - Parade Ground

Fort Larned, KS - Parade Ground

Fort Larned, KS - Parade Ground

Fort Larned, KS - Supplies

Fort Larned, KS - Supplies

Fort Larned, KS - Well, Hospital & Stewards Quarters

Fort Larned, KS - Well, Hospital & Stewards Quarters

Fort Larned, KS - Flag

Fort Larned, KS - Flag

Fort Larned, KS - Signatures

Fort Larned, KS - Signatures

Fort Larned, KS - Signatures - 2

Fort Larned, KS - Signatures - 2