The Castle Car Wash on old Route 66
(now located at 3801 Ogden Avenue) in Chicago
was built in 1925 and is the last remaining historic gas station structure on Route 66 in the Chicago
city limits. Originally the John J. Murphy Filling Station, it was operated by its first owner for more than 40 years. In the late 1960's it became and an S&B Standard Service station and in the next decade, a Gas City. The building began to serve as the Castle Car Wash in the 1980s. It is vacant today. Photo by Kathy Weiser, 2005.