The building that houses the Red Garter
has been standing for more than a century serving as a saloon, a bordello, a rooming house, a general store, and more, in Williams
. Though Arizona outlawed prostitution in 1907, the law was only loosely enforced. Even during prohibition, the saloon and brothel continued to operate, hiding its bar and poker tables behind a divider.
Both businesses continued to operate successfully until the mid 1940's, when a murder was committed on the stairs of the Red Garter, leading to a city-wide crackdown on houses of ill-repute. The crackdown ultimately led to the closure of the saloon and brothel after more than forty years of operation.
Photo by Jim Hinckley