Once Livingston County was organized, a two-story frame courthouse was completed in Pontiac
in 1842 and located on the public square. It continued to serve the county until a new building was built in 1856. Unfortunately, a fire destroyed the second courthouse, but a third was completed in 1875, which still stands today and is listed on the National Historic Register.
Photo by Jim Hinckley