19 photos
White Cloud, Kansas

Located on the bluffs of the Missouri River, White Cloud was one of the earliest and grandest towns in a new and fledgling Kansas Territory. The port town was a popular stop for the big steamboats carrying supplies bound for the west. Often the docks were crowded with wagons in the port community, which boasted a population of over 2,000 in its heyday. The town continued to thrive until after the Civil War, when in 1860, the first "iron horse” touched Kansas soil and supplies began to travel via the rails.

In 1804, the area where White Cloud would one day lie served as a vantage point and resting place for Lewis and Clark. According to legend, their names are said to be carved in a stone somewhere close to today's White Cloud.

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 4

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 4

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 5

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 5

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 6

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 6

White Cloud, KS - Bank Building

White Cloud, KS - Bank Building

White Cloud, KS - Barn

White Cloud, KS - Barn

White Cloud, KS - Business Building

White Cloud, KS - Business Building

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 2

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 2

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 3

White Cloud, KS - Business Building - 3

White Cloud, KS - Door

White Cloud, KS - Door

White Cloud, KS - House

White Cloud, KS - House

White Cloud, KS - House - 2

White Cloud, KS - House - 2

White Cloud, KS - Main Street

White Cloud, KS - Main Street

White Cloud, KS - Museum

White Cloud, KS - Museum

White Cloud, KS - Overlook

White Cloud, KS - Overlook

White Cloud, KS - Overlook - 2

White Cloud, KS - Overlook - 2

White Cloud, KS - Overlook Bird

White Cloud, KS - Overlook Bird

White Cloud, KS - Poulet Mansion

White Cloud, KS - Poulet Mansion

White Cloud, KS - Shutters

White Cloud, KS - Shutters

White Cloud, KS - Shutters - 2

White Cloud, KS - Shutters - 2