Situated diagonally across from the old courthouse and adjacent to Grasshopper Creek, this building served the citizens of Bannack
with a school on the first floor and the Masonic Order meeting room on the second floor. It was built in 1874 by the Masonic Order, an international fraternity, whose origins go back to the builders of of Gothic style architecture during the Middle Ages in Europe. The Masons, or Freemasons, as they are more properly called, were organized into lodges; used signs, symbols and passwords, and were separated into different grades or degrees of skills with the Master Mason being the highest. Vintage photo restored by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.