Located in the northwest corner of Claiborne County, Mississippi
, Grand Gulf
was once a bustling river port town in the first half of the 19th Century. Between the years of 1680 and 1803, the land which would become Mississippi Territory was controlled by the French and Spanish governments. During that time, land grants were issued to settlers, including several by the Spanish in the late 1700's in the area where Grand Gulf would later be established.