« Previous Next »
54 of 84 photos

Lead, SD - Homestake Mine

The Homestake claim was discovered by brothers, Moses and Fred Manuel, and Hank Harney in April, 1876. In June, 1877, the Homestake claim and another totaling 10 acres were purchased from the Manuels for $70,000 by a group of mining men, including George Hearst. Later that year, in November, the Homestake Mining Company is incorporated and over the next few years, Hearst purchased additional claims, obtained water rights on nearby Whitewood Creek, and began to assemble the Homestake empire. By the summer of 1879, the Homestake operation consisted of ten major and several smaller mines, 540 stamps in six mills, a huge assortment of buildings and over 500 employees. The Homestake Mine would become the basis of the Hearst financial empire and Deadwood's sister city Lead's largest employer for 126 years. Before its closing in 2002 Homestake Gold Mine was the oldest, largest and deepest mine in the Western Hemisphere, reaching more than 8000 feet below the town of Lead.
No EXIF information is available

Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Places of Interest
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:

Lead, SD - Homestake Mine