Grand Canyon, AZ - Lookout Studio
Lookout Studio was designed by Mary Colter at the Grand Canyon. It was completed in 1914, the same year Hermit’s Rest was completed eight miles west of the Village. In keeping with her style of architecture, Lookout Studio was carefully designed with native stone and an irregular roofline to blend into the rim of the Grand Canyon. On the porch of Lookout Studio was a high-power telescope, now on display in the History Room of the Bright Angel Lodge. Here visitors could view the features of the Grand Canyon and watch mule riders descending into the Canyon. A lounge was inside the studio with a fireplace and an artroom where postcards and artwork were for sale. Photo by Michael Quinn, National Park Service.