The White Mound Trading Post held Houck Arizona's
post office from 1924 until 1946. In 1958, U.S. Interstate 40 came through the area, superseding Route 66
. The White Mound Trading Post closed two years later.
Then, in the 1960's, a new modern trading post was built at the same site. Called Fort Courage, this place was inspired by the television show F-Troop, a 1960's television series. Over the years this stop featured a Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Gas Station, Grocery Store, Gift Shop, and Trading Post which kept a large selection of authentic Indian jewelry, Navajo rugs, and all types of curios and souvenirs. It also featured motel units, a trailer park and a campground. Today, however, Fort Courage is only a shell of its former self and sits empty and abandoned. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander