San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, also known as the Carmel Mission, is a Roman Catholic mission church in Carmel, California
. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
It was the headquarters of the original upper Las Californias Province missions headed by Father JunÃpero Serra from 1770 until his death in 1784.
The mission also was the seat of the padre presidente, Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. It was destroyed in the mid-19th century, only to be restored beginning in 1884. It remains a parish church today. It is the only one of the California Missions to have its original bell tower dome. Photo by Carol Highsmith.