- Newcomer's Mill, Alexander Gardner, 1862. In 1862 the mill property was owned and operated by Joshua Newcomer. Following the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, the Federal army used many buildings at the Newcomer complex, including the mill, the house, and the barn, as a place to care for the wounded. This lasted for many weeks and Newcomer suffered greatly from the damage to his property and the use of his goods. He filed claims to the government but his business would never recover. In a few years he sold the property to Jacob Myers, who operated the mill complex until just after the turn of the 20th century. The mill was eventually torn down and the stones were reused.