Grand Canyon Nationall Park Historic District: South Rim. Hopi House was complete on January 1, 1905, just weeks before the completion of the El Tovar. Designed by Mary Colter, Hopi House started an association with the Fred Harvey Company, that spanned more than 40 years. It is a multi-story structure of stone and adobe masonry typical of the Pueblo buildings in Old Oraibi. The ceilings on the inside are thatched with successive layers of saplings and timbers. It also features wall niches, corner fireplaces, and adobe walls typical of Hopi pueblos. Even the construction was done mainly by Hopi Indians. The Hopis, who lived and worked there, entertained guests with nightly dances on the dance platform to the north. NPS Photo by Michael Quinn. Photo by the National Park Service.
No EXIF information is available
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:arizona, grand canyon, hopi house, national park