Hancock, MI - Quincy Mine Model-Backside Looking Northwest
An extensive set of copper mines just outside of Hancock, the Quincy Mining Company began operation in 1846, with some activity lasting until the 1970's, though most of the operation stopped around 1945. At first it was actually two companies who, due to bad communications in government offices, had purchased the same tracts of land during the mining rush of the 1840's. The directors of Northwest Mining Company and Portage Mining Company met and decided to merge as a result.
This model shows the extensive buildings, some of which still stand, at Mine Shaft No. 2, which is open for tours.