Just north of Traverse City, and home to the Traverse City Harbor is the un-incorporated community of Greilickville, Michigan
. First established in 1853, it was originally known as Norristown, named after Seth and Albert Norris who established a gristmill here.
Godfrey Greilick built a small water powered sawmill here just a few years later, then a steam powered mill, which would wind up cutting eight and a half million feet of hardwood in 1883. It was one of the most important mills in Grand Traverse Bay until it was destroyed by fire in 1907.
When the railroad entered town in 1892, the station was called "Greilicks" and the surrounding community took the name as well.