In 1854, the citizens of Tishomingo County invited two railroad
companies, the Mobile & Ohio and the Memphis & Charleston, to build lines through the largely agricultural area. Within a year, the companies completed their surveys, and their two routes intersected in the north-central Tishomingo County. A small town grew up at the crossroads of the two new railroad
lines, originally called Cross City. By 1855, the rapidly growing town changed its name to Corinth
, after the crossroads city of ancient Greece. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.