French Camp Historic District - Originally known as the Frenchman’s Camp, this settlement was founded in about 1810 when Louis LeFleur and his family opened a stand, or tavern and inn. LeFleur married a Choctaw
woman and the couple's son, Greenwood LeFleur, changed the spelling of his last name to LeFlore. He became a Choctaw chief and a Mississippi
State Senator. Part of the French Camp Academy, the historic district displays how early American life was lived along its long wooden boardwalk which includes the Log House Museum, the historic Colonel James Drane house, the 1840 Huffman Log Cabin and adjacent sorghum mill, a blacksmith shop and more. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.