The Old Sheldon Church Ruins, a historic site in Beaufort County, South Carolina
. The building was originally known as Prince William's Parish Church. Built abetween 1745 and 1753, Prince William's was burned by the British in 1779 during the Revolutionary War. In 1826 it was rebuilt. It was then burned again, either by the Federal army of General William T. Sherman on his "march to the sea," or by local Georgians after they had gutted it for its wood and supplies. Both stories abound in the area. Photo by Carol Highsmith, 2017.