Towering over Deadwood
to the east is Mt. Moriah where a number of Deadwood's notable residents are buried including Wild Bill Hickok
, Calamity Jane
, Preacher Henry Smith, Madam Dora DuFran
, Potato Creek Johnny
, and more.
Deadwood's first cemetery was on lower ground and called the Ingleside Cemetery. However, as more and more people moved into the town to work in the gold mines, a need for new homes prompted the city to move the graveyard up the steep hill of Mt. Moriah. The new cemetery was created in 1877 and the bodies, including that of Wild Bill Hickok
were exhumed and moved to the new location. However, locals tell that every now and then when the ground is excavated around their homes, a human bone or two will sometimes still be found.