The First Congregational Church in Silverton, the seat of San Juan County, Colorado, a legendary silver-rush town of the 19th Century and, at 9,313 feet above sea level, one of America's highest cities. The cornerstone of the church building was laid August 20, 1880, making it (as of 2015) the oldest Congregational church structure still hosting services in the state, now meeting as the United Church of Silverton. The first call to worship was achieved by pounding on a saw blade. A detached bell stand was built in 1881, and the bell tower and steeple replaced it in 1892. The adjoining parsonage was built in 1884. Photo by Carol Highsmith, 2015.