Toyah, Texas, the oldest town in Reeves County, was once a hub along the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Today, it is a sparsely populated ghost town
with numerous abandoned buildings standing in various states of decay.
The town got its start as a trading post for the large ranches in the area and took its name from an Indian word that meaning "flowing water," probably due to several artesian springs in the area.
Toyah's population peaked in 1910 at 1,052 people. Afterwards, it continued to drop over the next decades. Over the years, floods and high winds took their toll on many of the town's buildings. Today, though the Toyah area is called home to about 90 people, it is a virtual ghost town.