Established in 1863, St. Patrick Catholic Church was built on the top of a hill which overlooked gently rolling prairie. The cemetery lies, west of the church and is still in use today, although the majority of the people buried there in recent years no longer lived in the community. The parish holds the distinction of being the oldest active parish in Northeastern Kansas
. It is located in the southeastern part of Atchison County. It is 8-10 miles south of the city of Atchison on Highway 7 and 1 mile west on a county road. In the winter, when the trees are bare the church steeple can be seen for miles.