, Kansas Fort Scott
, initially called Camp Scott and named in honor of General Winfield Scott, was established on May 30, 1842 at the Marmaton crossing of the Fort Leavenworth
-Fort Gibson military road. It was among nine forts originally planned to line the area between the Great Lakes and New Orleans to separate proposed Indian lands and white settlements. Just four days after Captain Benjamin Moore and Companies A and C, First Dragoons (horse soldiers,) abandoned nearby Fort Wayne, the troops began the building of Fort Scott. Normal daily activities included the general construction of the fort and routine drills by the Dragoons. On occasion map making expeditions were made.