Phelps, MO - Bill's Station, 2009
Bill’s Station on Route 66 in Phelps, Missouri was built by Bill Tiller in about 1926. Originally a one-room filling station, it was later expanded with a small addition in the back. A two-pump concrete island sat directly in front of the station and its awning was adorned with a metal sign reading “Bill’s Station” and “Double Cola.” After the station closed it sat vacant and deteriorating for years until it finally fell in a pile of ruins. It was a rare unaltered example early roadside construction, when a filling station was designed strictly for pumping gas. It stood at the northeast corner of Highway 96 and County Road UU. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2009.
No EXIF information is available