Aerial view of Charleston
, South Carolina
, focusing on the remains of a fortification on Shutes Folly Island in Charleston Harbor called Castle Pinckney. It was a small masonry fortification constructed by the United States government in 1812 and used very briefly as a prisoner-of-war camp and artillery position during the American Civil War. In June 2011, Castle Pinckney was sold to the Fort Sumter Camp No. 1269, Sons of Confederate Veterans, for 10 Confederate dollars. Photo by Carol Highsmith, 2017.