Burger Chef was a fast-food chain that got its start in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1954. At its peak in 1973 had 1,050 locations, including some in Canada.
In 1982, the General Foods Corporation, owners of the Burger Chef trademark and name, divested itself of the restaurant chain. The final restaurant to carry the Burger Chef name closed in 1996.
There were four Burger Chefs in Albuquerque
, New Mexico
including one at 2056 Central Ave SW. While the building and the sign are still there, the sign no longer looks anything like the one in this photograph.
Photo by John Margolies