Cimarron and the Santa Fe Trail
While we were in the Eagle Nest and Moreno Valley area, we took a trip westward through Cimarron Canyon to the historic Santa Fe Trail at Cimarron, New Mexico.
The canyon provides some spectacular views of the Palisades in the eastern part of Cimarron Canyon State Park.
Cimarron Canyon, NM - Clear Creek Log Weather's Store, once a popular stop along the scenic highway through Cimarron Canyon, featured this carved-out log with cool freshwater flowing through it. Although the store building was moved to Eagle Nest, the log remains today at the beginning of Clear Creek Trail in Cimarron Canyon State Park.
You'll find hiking trails and more along the Cimarron River and throughout the State Park.
Established within an almost two million acre land grant, Cimarron, New Mexico was built upon what was originally the Beaubien-Miranda Land Grant.
In 1842, Lucien B. Maxwell, a fur trapper from Illinois, came to the area, working as a guide. He married one of Beaubien's daughters that same year. In 1857, Maxwell bought Miranda's interest in the grant and continued to develop the area.
Warehouses and supply stores were much in demand along the Santa Fe Trail. M. R. Whiteman built this house as a freighting depot for the Andres Daws stage line. It was later used by the Dold Brothers (also spelled Dahl), who operated a freight line between Missouri and Las Vegas, New Mexico. In 1861 it became a Trading Post and Indian Agency and served as a commissary for Lucien Maxwell. In 1873 it was a general store run by Henry Miller Porter and Asa F. Middaugh and two years later it had become the office of the new Cimarron News and Press.
Cimarron was officially established in 1861 and was named for the Spanish word meaning “wild” and “unbroken.” Increasing Indian troubles and irregular service led to a change in the mail stage route over Raton Pass in 1861, stopping at Maxwell's ranch in Cimarron.
In 1863, Barlow, Sanderson & Company obtained the stage route.
This building was used as the local stage office from 1870 until the mail route closed in 1880 with the coming of the railroad to Springer, 25 miles to the east. It was then used as a Wells Fargo Office and later converted into a mercantile store in the early 1900s.
In 1864, after the death of his father-in-law, Maxwell bought out the five other heirs, becoming the largest landowner in the United States and renamed the property the Maxwell Land Grant. The Maxwell Cimarron mansion pictured above no longer stands. It was located west of the plaza.
Maxwell had the Aztec Mill built in 1864. Capable of grinding 15,000 pounds of wheat per day, the mill supplied flour for Fort Union and distributed supplies to the area Indians, for which Maxwell was compensated by the federal government. The mill operated until 1870.
Cimarron was a wild and rough boomtown as the Mountain Branch of the Santa Fe Trail brought in some rowdies.
At one time, Cimarron boasted 16 saloons, 4 hotels, and numerous trading stores.
One of the hotels, Lambert's Inn, opened by Henry Lambert, became the infamous St. James Hotel.
Built in 1872 by Henry Lambert, the hotel's saloon, restaurant, and 43 rooms were witness to at least 26 murders during Cimarron’s wilder days. The Hotel was later renamed St. James and continues to cater to travelers today.
It's also said to be haunted!
Today, Cimarron is a quaint mountain community called home to about 900 people.
Before helping to establish Cimarron, Maxwell built this house in what would become Rayado, 10 miles south. Kit Carson also had a home here at one time.
In fact, it was Maxwell and Carson that established Rayado in 1848, although Carson realized the danger of Indian attack and never moved his family there.
Rayado, which means “streaked” in Spanish, was perhaps named so for the beautiful cliffs close to the settlement.
As Rayado was located near the point where the Mountain Route and the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail rejoined, both Carson and Maxwell entertained a number of Santa Fe Trail traders.
Rayado, NM - Camp - 3
Rayado, NM - Museum
Today, Rayado is part of the Philmont Scout Ranch and includes the original Maxwell home, a reconstruction of Carson’s home, the Chapel of the Holy Child, and La Posta, a Santa Fe Trail stage stop dating from the 1850s.
Cya On the Road
Keywords: about, aztec mill, Cimarron, destination, history, Lucien B. Maxwell, museum, Philmont Scout ranch, Rayado, St. James Hotel, travel
Recent Photo BlogsAliens & Outlaws - Our 2008 Adventure in Southern New Mexico I Wanna Be a Cowboy... in Bandera Sweet Virginia - Saving Our Nation More than Once Finding Our Lumps in West Virginia From the National Road to Worlds Largest Stuff in the Land of Lincoln Bent's Fort - Trading on the Trails Cimarron and the Santa Fe Trail The Beauty & History of New Mexico's Moreno Valley Fort Hays Kansas - Protecting more than just the railroad Do you know the way to Santa Fe?